Long distance travel can be a frightening experience for dogs, cats, and other pets. The single most important step you can take to maximize your pet’s comfort during the relocation process is to choose a safe, trustworthy pet shipping company. Because not all pet shipping services are created equal, you must carefully evaluate shipping companies to ensure that you choose the best option for your pet. As you review top rated pet shipping services, you should seek a company that possesses the following 10 qualities to make sure you get the best service for you:
1) Experience in the pet shipping industry.
Seek a company with expertise shipping a wide variety of pets. In general, accredited companies with over a decade of experience are safer choices for your pet.
2) Safe shipping vehicles and equipment.
The top rated pet shipping services should have vehicles that are be climate controlled and possess windows to enable staff to easily view the pets that are being transported. Vehicles should be regularly maintained to prevent breakdowns or failure of climate control equipment.
3) Dedication to making your pet comfortable.
When screening top rated pet shipping services, seek a provider that is committed to providing your pet with exercise every 3 to 4 hours during the transportation process. Shipping vehicles should contain roomy crates, water-resistant cushions, and plenty of food and water for your pet.
Transporting your pet using the most direct route possible is one of the keys to your pet’s comfort. Overcrowded vehicles that must make multiple stops or use indirect routes can unnecessarily lengthen the amount of time that your pet is confined.
5) Carefully screened drivers and shipping staff.
Your pet’s welfare during the shipping process is dependent upon the competency level of the employees who are transporting your pets. When evaluating companies, ask about the process to screen employees to ensure that your pet will receive skilled care. The top rated pet shipping services will be happy to answer your questions.
6) Convenience and ease of booking.
Your pet’s reservation should be quick and easy to schedule. While online reservations are offered by many companies, it is often a good idea to speak with a representative over the phone to make your first reservation.
7) Customer accessibility.
You should be able to access your pet’s shipping provider anytime. Seek a company that provides regular tracking updates and offers access by telephone.
When inquiring about the cost of shipping your pet, be sure to request a written quote that clearly outlines all applicable charges. Make sure that your quote includes door to door service if you require it, and steer clear of companies that refuse to provide costs in writing.
9) Industry accreditation.
Companies that are among the top rated pet shipping services are registered with the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and International Pet and Animal Transportation Association (IPATA).
10) The ability to provide references upon request.
Requesting references is one of the best ways to ensure that you are making the right choice for your pet. Companies that fail to produce several references of customers in your area should be avoided, as should pet shipping services that receive poor customer reviews. The top rated pet shipping services will always provide references.
Three Top Rated Pet Shipping Services to Consider
With new pet shipping companies emerging every day, it is important to select a trusted provider. Below are the three top rated pet shipping services that have received the most favorable reviews by clients:
- Air Animal Pet Movers is known for their industry expertise and dedication to meeting the medical and psycho-social needs of pets during the transportation process. Air Animal was founded by Veterinarian Dr. Walter Woolf, who currently serves as the company’s managing director. With over 40 years of experience in the pet shipping industry, Air Animal is endorsed by the International Air Transport Association (IATA) and has received industry awards for their pet transportation services.
- We Move Pets ships a wide variety of pets, including dogs, cats, birds and small mammals. Their pet shipping specialists are committed to maximizing comfort for pets during the transportation process and limit the number of animals transported at once. We Move Pets is approved by the USDA and BBB and place the needs of your pet first when scheduling transportation.
- Paws N Claws is operated by pet owners who recognize how small details can help make the transportation process more enjoyable for your pet. For instance, Paws N Claws staff exercise pets every 3 to 4 hours and use roomy crates that are well cushioned with water resistant mats. They are frequently chosen by members of all branches of the Military, and offer discounts on pet shipping for members of the Military.